Jewish mementos in Györ-Moson-Sopron Comitatus



A census in 1830 states that there were 125 Jews living in the village which had a total population of 800 people. The Jewish cemetery was opened in the mid-1800s. Only a few tombstones survived the turbulent centuries that followed. Ten of them still stand in the cemetery, the others are broken or sunken into the ground. The inscriptions on the intact tombstones are in Hebrew, two of them show the name and obit in Hungarian. One is from 1896, the other from 1904.

The cemetery is enclosed by a fence, it lies at the highest point of the community offering a panoramic view of the area. A location well chosen.
Little remains not only of the cemetery but also of the history of the 125 Jews that had lived here.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt